Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31   Go Down
Author Topic: Makeshift Unorthodox Costume (In Progress)  (Read 35009 times)
SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2020, 04:13:26 PM »

Got the grey canvas arm-wraps in. They're a little darker than I expected, but that may be good in retrospect, as they're enough darker than the cardigan to still look good IMO. I think that them being substantially darker is better than them being just a hair darker but not quite the same color. And they match the pants pretty well I'd say, so all good.

So now just waiting on a grey obi, and contemplating what type of pouche(s) to get. And of course waiting on the actual saberstaff!

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

Saso Is-kor
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 325

On the Side of the Light. Most of the time...

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2020, 11:41:16 PM »

They look fantastic! Amazing how something simple like arm wraps can add so much to a costume. Love the pictures, seeing your costume take shape before our eyes is really cool.

“You think you know the depths of corruption that plague the Jedi?” Saso hissed. “I’ve seen it, I’ve experienced it, I even embody it. Every breath I take is an affront to their lofty ideals and idle Force worship… and so they seek to exterminate me.” He looked deep into Barriss Offee’s eyes, “they were not successful in purging me from the galaxy, and neither will you be.”

Make Jedi pouches: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=37304.0
Make Jedi food capsules: http://www.saberforum.com/index.php?topic=38006.0

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2020, 12:22:45 AM »

They look fantastic! Amazing how something simple like arm wraps can add so much to a costume. Love the pictures, seeing your costume take shape before our eyes is really cool.
Thanks! I'm very happy with how it's evolving. In retrospect, the forearm wraps are pretty similar to what Quinlan Vos wore:

I figured I can also go with a more minimal, less typically/identifiably "Star Wars," but more "martial artist" look by just wearing the pants and forearm wraps without the compression shirt and cardigan.

Kirak Infil'a, a Jedi Master who Vader fought, didn't wear a shirt at times, and did have some form of arm covering, although it resembled a basketball player's arm sleeve on a single arm rather than forearm wraps on both arms. I guess having a muscular physique is pretty much a necessity to pull of that look though haha.

Pretty much just a regular black basketball sleeve:

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2020, 03:42:45 AM »

looking fab sir!

I'm starting over on my buckle…between my first use of a heat gun and overuse of the quick seal, I got sloppy. The plasti dip didn't hide enough of the sins as I'd hoped…

back to the drawing board…

BTW: I ordered that cardigan in black plus a pair of gloves from ali express…I liked the way it looks

I need a turtleneck and an interesting pair of pants or something. besides the cape, everything else will need to be made…yikes!

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2020, 04:10:55 AM »

looking fab sir!

I'm starting over on my buckle…between my first use of a heat gun and overuse of the quick seal, I got sloppy. The plasti dip didn't hide enough of the sins as I'd hoped…

back to the drawing board…

BTW: I ordered that cardigan in black plus a pair of gloves from ali express…I liked the way it looks

I need a turtleneck and an interesting pair of pants or something. besides the cape, everything else will need to be made…yikes!
Thanks! Sorry to hear about the belt, but I'm sure you'll figure it out. Very cool on the cardigan and gloves. You thinking something tight or loose on the shirt and pants?

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2020, 04:11:49 PM »

Thanks! Sorry to hear about the belt, but I'm sure you'll figure it out. Very cool on the cardigan and gloves. You thinking something tight or loose on the shirt and pants?

I was looking at this. Although with the cape over the cardigan and then this, I wonder if it's too flappy and too many layers?

and this:

As for the layer under the cardigan, I am confused with how to go and am open to ANY ideas! I had looked at compression shirts but I have been considering this as I want some kind of texture on the arms(akin to Vader's undersuit) but without getting too kylo ren-y

I would be modifying the neck to create a neck-seal (https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/34548-10-diy-neck-seal-v1/) that would look spiffy with and without helmet.

SORRY ABOUT THE SIZE OF THESE...NOT SURE HOW TO RESIZE THE PICS

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2020, 05:05:33 PM »

I like both of those pants. I get what you're saying about all the layers, but that's not something I'd be able to tell you either way if it'd look great or be too much. I don't think you could go wrong with either of those two though, and it's not like it's unheard of for Jedi/Sith outfits to have a bunch of overlapping layers I suppose.

I'd agree with you on not going with compression for the turtleneck if you want it to appear more textured. It does seem that the vertical ribbing would fit what you're looking for more than horizontal ribbing.

The neck seal is a cool idea! Especially if the neck of the shirt isn't super tight, which may well happen with a non-compression option. That's a very good idea.

Sounds like your idea is coming together!

Illyiss
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -491

There are shadows darker still...

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2020, 05:07:22 PM »

I don't think it would be too many layers, and would give options if you wanted to change things up later.  I think that base shirt looks great, would you put some kind of tunic over it, or just go with that?

Darth Pandæmis

Peace is a lie...

Jedi Council of Ohio

Dominix LE V4 Tri-Cree FO, Sentinel LE V4 BR, Sentinel V4 BR, Dark Initiate LE V3 CG

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2020, 05:33:56 PM »

I don't think it would be too many layers, and would give options if you wanted to change things up later.  I think that base shirt looks great, would you put some kind of tunic over it, or just go with that?
This is a good point. If you end up ever wanting to wear something without a long cardigan/robe/cape, then that added layer could be very appreciated then.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2020, 07:51:08 PM »

Decided to see what it'd look like with a more minimal approach, just the pants, belt, and forearm wraps.

It's not quite so easily identifiable as Star Wars, since I have neither the robes nor an actual lightsaber, but here's a preview of things to come. Not an actual saberstaff, but it is a staff:

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2020, 09:05:51 PM »

Got the belt pouch in. It's pretty big, but that means it can fit my phone and/or wallet, so it's functional. It ended up fitting/feeling more natural further to the side than the front, so I think that's how it'll be, and I see no need for another pouch. I suppose I could go with 2 smaller pouches, perhaps one on each side as opposed to this one larger one, but this one does work, so I don't really see a need to change it for now.

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2020, 03:55:47 AM »

Looking very good here. And, unlike some, you have the build to get away with going shirtless.
I couldn't do that.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2020, 04:46:59 AM »

Looking very good here. And, unlike some, you have the build to get away with going shirtless.
I couldn't do that.
Thanks! We all have our strengths. It would be a boring world if they were all the same.

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2020, 12:18:33 PM »

some have washboard abs…I call mine washing machine abs!

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2020, 02:31:33 PM »

some have washboard abs…I call mine washing machine abs!
A friend of mine once asked "why have a six pack when you can have the whole keg?"

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 31   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: