Click here for lightsabers
  • Home
  • Help
  • Login
  • Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17   Go Down
Author Topic: Custom Sith WIP  (Read 30528 times)
DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -203

Korriban Armory Chief, Sith Mage, Hybrid Sith...

« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2020, 12:33:33 AM »

WOW I missed some major developments there in a short window. That "structurally completed" right bracer looks fantastic, I really love the detailing. Again, supremely filled with envy! The red does go well, and I can't really add much that hasn't been said...

One thing is that with cosplay in general, the more intricate the outfit the more work usually goes into wearing it/putting it on. I'd constantly adjust myself before leaving home, then when getting out of vehicles, and after different cosplay actions and before/in-between photos. It's kind of the nature of the beast in some cases, unless you can plan ways to "keep everything exactly where you want it" Like you said (I think) snaps or other ideas. Possibly looking at youtube videos from well regarded "cosplay pros" or asking/starting a topic on here, maybe searching for one on "how to keep costume parts in place". I've found hidden buttons in-between layers can help some, although snaps can be more secure if not hard to fasten while putting things on sometimes. It's all in the design, and you're obviously pretty good at designing so I have faith.

The other part I think I may be of service with is the bracer fastening issue. You have velcro dots I believe at exact measurements. Likely tailor fit to be exacting to your arm dimensions. But possibly not accounting previously for the layering now in existence. I'd suggest adding another next to the preexisting one (if you have the space) to give you a bit more wiggle room for a more comfortable fit while remaining visually hidden. If not, you could try one of the thing's I've purchased and used in the past. Velcro straps/strips. These ones are industrial grade so they have enough strength to hold in place, and the adhesive is no joke. I cut portions down to hold my battery packs more securely, reduce rattle, and hopefully protect the cables/connections from being unduly stressed. I only cut about 1/2" by 1 & 1/2" segments figuring it'd cover half the inside of the hilt and be hopefully strong enough... Well I installed them universally after the first one held, without testing removal first... and F me, it holds to tight it's a B**** to get them out now without a plan in place & technique. So mission accomplished I suppose, cuz holy moly 10lbs of strength holding that is intense to fight against for sure. So I bet these would hold your bracers in place no problem, and so far the adhesive has held up to my insane training, movements, and hours of Spin Wars filming.

Next time it'll be a 1" by 1/2" small piece to hold my batteries not "surround them".

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

mrg149
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -159

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2020, 02:59:25 AM »

thank you for all of that...lots of ideas to consider.  I am vascillating between the Velcro and still eyeing a hidden zipper.  But first: painting!!

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
*Dominix LE v2 - "Dark Apprentice"
*Dominix LE v3 - "INVICTUS"
*"GUARDIAN" -Ask for Picture (non-US saber)
-Whatever Points-

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2020, 05:14:07 AM »

thank you for all of that...lots of ideas to consider.  I am vascillating between the Velcro and still eyeing a hidden zipper.  But first: painting!!

I'd be interested to see how you would manage a zipper, but have actually been eagerly awaiting the paint job. This has been an intensely fun project to watch play out. I guess I just added the best simple solution I could think of in a medium I knew you were already comfortable with, and that I knew I had some relevant experience with. It's been ages since I used a wood burner, maybe I should invest. Although I doubt you should be inhaling the foam vapor that results in large quantities. I would suggest adequate ventilation when working since who knows what result that would have on the body... everything tends to cause cancer or worse these days, better to proceed with a degree of caution if safeguards weren't already in place. I apologize for not thinking of it sooner, but you seem like a pretty smart guy so hopefully you beat me to it.

Dark Lords of the Sith have ruled collectively and individually for Millenia. One afraid to wield a power is ultimately unworthy of it. Ascendancy into the light has an apex, yet descent into the darkness is endless. The Dark Side can give or take anything, based on user strength. I claim the title of Darth Prodigal Dark Lord of the Sith as my own. Through pain, our Code, and right of combat it is mine; and so shall it be defended. Follow Darth Bane's wisdom. (Only Dark Side Points Preferred.)

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2020, 12:24:11 PM »

A Sith Lord exhibiting care for others? 2020 strikes again!

I had a fan and some open windows nearby...still...very stinky when you plunge that mother-lover into the foam

You can get a wood burning tool super cheap. Harbor Freight and such...but I got mine at Home Depot and it works just fine. No need to buy the super deluxe.

I'm trying to figure out how to rig some old carboard tubes (heavy duty kind) into a "T" so I can mount the bracers on them for spraying. Fun exercise.

“Heeded my words not, did you? "Pass on what you have learned." Strength, mastery, hmm... but weakness, folly, failure, also. Yes, failure, most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is. Luke, we are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."
– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2020, 03:47:53 PM »

A Sith Lord exhibiting care for others? 2020 strikes again!

I had a fan and some open windows nearby...still...very stinky when you plunge that mother-lover into the foam

You can get a wood burning tool super cheap. Harbor Freight and such...but I got mine at Home Depot and it works just fine. No need to buy the super deluxe.

I'm trying to figure out how to rig some old carboard tubes (heavy duty kind) into a "T" so I can mount the bracers on them for spraying. Fun exercise.

Seemingly counter intuitive I can understand, but not with deeper understanding. No Sith tends to work in absolute solitude permanently: in researching, finding outside input, examples, test subjects/research assistants, or even mentorship/wisdom from others are all of great value in development of gear or techniques. Making great gains usually (and within most of the tales) required as much. Call it a type of symbiosis if you will, but ultimately your progress serves me/my purpose. Positive input/reinforcement (even if truthful) is an inevitable investment in my own research as well. As stated, you were working on a Sith outfit... which makes it even more conceivable. Sith working together toward common goals in essence, or maintaining the longevity of a valuable asset while it remains useful. So I would counter that I'm very much in keeping with the rationale along those lines.

I appreciate your work, and also see no reason for someone who produces such fine work to suffer unduly; I'd gain nothing from it. So seemingly selfless acts can often be selfishly motivated. Does this make kind words or praise ring hollow? I'd hope not, it should not cheapen them, because such praise was (and is) still rightly deserved. I can be cruel, although it was not my intent here; not seeking to diminish any feel-good vibes you may have possessed. Merely offering transparency and standing behind the truth of my thoughts. You are rather cool and inventive, it's illogical to allow an artist to destroy himself in the process of creating a piece if it's not required to complete the work... especially when more such things may come to pass, or even better advancements made with the increased longevity. Sith have social circles too, just very different relationships than most. I may be dark, but not purely mad. Nihilistic destruction for the sake of destruction is certainly no way to achieve meaningful growth/gains, in my understanding anyway. So I say, as always, keep up the good work.

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2020, 03:08:22 AM »

(nods affably but clutches hilt…just in case)

just kidding…seriously though, most of my current success stems directly from interactions with folks in this forum…and then a leap of faith as I try it out.

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2020, 03:58:00 AM »

(nods affably but clutches hilt…just in case)

just kidding…seriously though, most of my current success stems directly from interactions with folks in this forum…and then a leap of faith as I try it out.

Yes, good... I can feel the trust between us is as rock-solid as ever...

...no that left hand isn't waiting to do a Force Choke gesture at all!

(Also messing around, yes this is a valuable resource of advisors, guides, and information gurus on so many conceivable projects. With the practice/effort you keep putting forth you earn your place among them in my opinion. A serious SW web based Mecca, of a sort, has been created here. Desire and a bit of faith can lead to accomplishing some fantastic works with the assistance from this many knowledgeable individuals. Heck we could build a life-sized replica of the Yavin 4 temple if we tried; with enough collaborative effort a great many things become possible.)

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2021, 01:04:23 AM »

Sorry for being late to the party here.

Definitely liking the look of the bracers you've got. EVA foam can be a VERY versatile material

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2021, 03:33:17 AM »

Sorry for being late to the party here.

Definitely liking the look of the bracers you've got. EVA foam can be a VERY versatile material

Thanks Therion! I took a lot of your advice on board and it helped a ton as these came together.

Question: Do you suggest adding velcro before or after painting?

I plan on a quick heat seal and initial coat of plasti-dip on these starting Monday. 2-3 coats should do it.

Since they will remain black, I will be able to get to weathering and detailing after that!

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2021, 08:17:44 PM »

***UPDATE***

Painting has commenced on the Bracers. Notice the new detail in the empty channel area. Amazing what a few model sprues, twist ties and foam bits will do!

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

DarthProdigal
Knight Commander

« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2021, 09:12:09 PM »

Oh yeah! That matte black does make the red pop, and look crisp. I also like those "wires" you added into that central channel to add some more detail! They look pretty dang good. Those are just for show right, the wires don't light up or some such right? I mean I like them as is, makes them look more technological and sci fi in vibe. Like somehow it's powered armor or serves some utility purpose. -1 point for sure for this pretty clean paint job.

SirLiftaLot
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: 134

« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2021, 12:07:15 AM »

Very nice! It's really coming along incredibly.

"He who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand men."

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own." -Bruce Lee

Therion Jinn
Knight Commander

Force Alignment: -1426

May The Force Serve You Well

« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2021, 03:06:06 AM »

Looking really good.

As to the velcro, I didn't paint the inside of my own bracers, so it didn't matter.
Bit of advice, though, would be to use super glue along with the self adhesive. The self adhesive doesn't like being pulled on alot

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2021, 03:56:21 AM »

Oh yeah! That matte black does make the red pop, and look crisp. I also like those "wires" you added into that central channel to add some more detail! They look pretty dang good. Those are just for show right, the wires don't light up or some such right? I mean I like them as is, makes them look more technological and sci fi in vibe. Like somehow it's powered armor or serves some utility purpose. -1 point for sure for this pretty clean paint job.

No electronics this time…though I almost did it. The bracers I am basing these off of threw up a large electo-shield on the off-hand …these…not so much.

not nice on the -1 point…I haven't weatherd them yet! They're far too clean still

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

mrg149
Knight Commander

Peace & Purpose

« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2021, 04:00:28 AM »

Looking really good.

As to the velcro, I didn't paint the inside of my own bracers, so it didn't matter.
Bit of advice, though, would be to use super glue along with the self adhesive. The self adhesive doesn't like being pulled on alot

I did see others using super glue or other adhesives...my temporary velcro dots bear out your warning/advice! Thanks

– Yoda

ARSENAL:
-Whatever Points-

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 17   Go Up
Send this topic | Print
Jump to: